Q. What Size Conduit is required for Underground Services?
A. For 200 amp service entrance, less than 150' long, conduit shall be 3".  For 400 amp service entrance conduit shall be 3".
    All conduit(s) shall be SCH 40 PVC, with the exception: SCH 80 PVC shall be used under all roadways, from the elbow to the meter base, and for the first 10' of exposed conduit left uninstalled for the transformer pole.

Q. Is a pull String required in the conduit?
A. Yes, String must be rated at least 50lb strength.

Q. What size conduit sweeps?
A. 24" SCH 40 PVC unless otherwise required by the staking engineer. Also, there shall be no more than 2 sweeps per wire pull.

Q. Does conduit need to go inside the transformer box?
A. No. Conduit should be stopped just short of the box.

Q. How close to the pole do I bring my conduit to?
A. The top of the elbow must be 6" from the pole.

Q. Is additional conduit required beyond what is installed in the ditch?
A. If the service is being supplied from a utility pole, the member is required to supply 1-10' section of SCH 80 PVC and 2-10' sections of SCH 40 PVC to be left near the base of the pole for installation by the power company up the pole.

Q. Does someone need to inspect the ditch before covering the conduit?
A. Yes, contact the power company and a representative will come and inspect the ditch and conduit. The representative will place a white sticker on the meter panel with a pass or fail notice.

Q. Is there a difference in meter bases?
A. Yes, There are three types. Overhead only, Underground only, and Overhead/Underground combination bases. However, combination boxes are not recommended for Underground installations because of their limited wire space.

Q. How close can I build to a primary power line?
A. Inter County regularly maintains a 60' right-of-way. Therefore the building line is 30' from the center of the line.

Q. Can septic lines be installed under power lines?
A. Yes

Q. Can permanent service be installed if the house has had a rough-in inspection?
A. No, Inter County Energy will not set a meter without a final inspection or in some instances a non occupancy permit shall be allowed from the local electrical inspector.

Q: What about outdoor lighting?
A: Inter-County Energy offers a variety of lighting products including decorative colonial, cobra head, directional floodlights, and security lights. We can customize plans to fit any lighting need.